The number of times we’ve accidentally clicked “View Highlight Reel” at the end of a Mario Kart 8 race is uncountable. You know what we mean – you’re beating your family in a heated tournament, you’re mashing the 2 button on your Wii Remote to quickly start the next Grand Prix, when you remember that the “Next Race” button is no longer atop the post-race menu. Thankfully, tweaks to this menu, and other areas of Mario Kart 8, will be added via a software update on 27th August – the 22nd anniversary of Super Mario Kart’s Japanese release.
The free Mercedes Benz DLC will also arrive in-game at the same time, offering three new karts based on the modern Mercedes Benz GLA, the 300 SL Roadster from the 1950s, and the Silver Arrow of the 1930s.
Here’s the low-down on all of the upcoming improvements:
- Drivers will now have the option to display the course map on the TV screen during races.
- Users will be able to check out statistics such as their total number of coins accumulated, win-loss record from online play, and their most frequently selected character overall.
- Users will be able to change options of others’ Mario Kart TV downloaded highlight reels, such as changing the focus to a new character or event.
- The order of the menu after each race will be changed to “ Next Race”, followed by “Watch Highlight Reel”.
- The game will remember the most recent customised kart settings that were selected, even if the Wii U system is powered down.
- Improvements to stability of connection in online play to enhance the user experience.
Unfortunately, there’s no tweaks to item balance, so you’ll still pick up Mushrooms in first place, and find single bananas in seventh.